Sunday, April 25, 2021

Keep calm and Saree on - a tribute to Sunita Budhiraja

Thursday had so many incidents in one day. I had a very important meeting. It was 2 hours long one so I took the day off. Little did I know that the day would show me so many colors of life. Woke up with the sad news of the passing of a woman I adored and respected in the Saree world. She was an epitome of grace, persona and passion. She brought so many of us saree lovers together. All these years without many knowing she introduced many to handloom sarees. Covid has taken so many amazing people away. My heart is so heavy typing this.


I was invited to meet a mom in law from Moms Network. It was a good hours drive so I decided to meet a friend mid way. The unplanned trip was much needed, we talked about our life, kids and various interests. She had no idea how welcoming that break was for my noisy mind.


The lunch was full of flavor and love and the kid in that household who really knows how to keep everyone involved. A grocery store stop and the day was just gone. I wonder how many of us wish for a few more hours in a day. A phone call during my drive is what is bothering me today. A friend  is going through a tough time, after 15 years spending life with a man, she is struggling to keep things in the right perspective. She is questioning her marriage and decision and standing at a crossroad. I wish I could be of any help. Hopefully she finds a path in the right direction.


The morning meeting was a peek into the Boston Non Profit world and I was in awe of those young people who know their calling. How they want to make a change in the world. I hope I will be able to talk about that stuff some day. Till then all I can say is “keep calm and saree on”. I struggled to keep my mind in right place, didnt feel like "getting ready" I couldnt shake Sunita di's death but thought of her and had to wear the saree. I saw the article night before and was smiling thinking she and I have the same saree. That was a sign she will always be around us. 



Love comes in many forms - Home cooked lunch is one of them - a pahadi delicacy I think its called Suhale 

Sunita Budhiraja  was an author and poet a very renowned communications professional.
Biographer of  Pandit Jaraj. She started Six Yards and 365 Days on  social media to promote handloom and wearing saree in 2015. I am part of that group. She started a trust/foundation of same name to support weavers.

Prashna-Paanchali and Saat Suron Ke Beech  and Pandit Jasraj- Rasraj are some of her books.

She died of COVID last week. her mom passed away 2 days before her.


https://www.unnatisilks.com/blog/sunita-budhiraja-the-founder-and-chairperson-of-six-yards-and-365-days

 

I was invited to speak on her group about Desi Moms Network on April 2nd this year.

 I have a very similar Kanjivaram Saree - a treasure now 




No comments:

Post a Comment