Saturday, April 17, 2021

कोंपलें फिर फूट आईं शाख़ पर कहना उसे - a morning April17th, 2021


“You are crazy but in a good way” - A compliment from my son.

Some mornings are just wet, easy and lazy. Today was one of those. I woke up earlier than usual and that gave me an early start. Posted some pictures on my Saree pact journey and began my day. 

I made desi Tea and husband made a nice breakfast. Anand decided to spend his morning in the basement with legos. The 3 of us sat on the table and I noticed the tree right outside my window is full of buds. A rain shower in April is so magical. And the first thing that came to my mind was - “konpalen phir phoot aayeen, shaakh par, kehnaa use” कोंपलें फिर फूट आईं शाख़ पर कहना उसे


My older son has always been my captive audience. I had to recite two lines for him, knowing very well that he couldn’t understand the verse, so I translated them. He is such a darling son, he paid attention to what I was trying to convey. I got frustrated butchering that beautiful piece of poetry. 

The conversation then moved to how Khan Sahab Mehndi Hassan (the singer, a legend in Ghazal genre ) and then young Farhat Shahzad ( the lyricist) met by chance and their first collaboration started a whole new direction for both of them. Coincidentally that album was my introduction to Khan Sahab and Farhat sahab. Those Ghazals forced me to pay attention to Khan Sahab. Younger me was a Jagjit Singh fan but Farhat Sahab’s poetry and Khan Sahab’s voice  in this album widened my world even more. I went on explaining to my son how that one album became an amazing memory and later the reason I met Farhat Sahab. Few years ago when he visited Boston he came home for breakfast with his amazing wife. I think the mango I served did some magic and Amrit begum took me in her heart and life. Our friendship is beyond Khan Sahab, Farhat Sahab and ghazals and music now. It is a sum of so many things in life. I went to San Diego in Sept 2019  and it was one of the most memorable trips of my life. I was with them for a long weekend. The drive along the Pacific sea coast, listening to ghazals and miles of no conversation, only Khan Sahab’s voice and endless ocean by the side. My son laughed when I told him that I asked Farhat Sahab to just stop the car so I could dip my feet. During those 3 days I was just me, not a wife or a mom or anything. 

This morning I sat outside on my porch on this cold and wet morning, listening to this beautiful ghazal and didn’t even know when the tears started to roll down my cheeks, without any warning.

That’s the magic of the words and the voice. 

Sunset in Tijuana Mexico Cannot thank both of them enough to put up with my craziness of sunset, ocean, ghazals and everything else which comes with it. 

 


and thats how it started this morning.


कोंपलें फिर फूट आईं शाख़ पर कहना उसे

वो समझा है समझेगा मगर कहना उसे


वक़्त का तूफ़ान हर इक शय बहा कर ले गया

इतनी तन्हा हो गई है रहगुज़र कहना उसे


जा रहा है छोड़ कर तन्हा मुझे जिसके लिये

चैन दे पायेगा वो सीम--ज़र कहना उसे


रिस रहा हो ख़ून दिल से लब मगर हँसते रहे

कर गया बरबाद मुझको ये हुनर कहना उसे


जिसने ज़ख़्मों से मेरा 'शहज़ाद' सीना भर दिया

मुस्करा कर आज प्यारे चारागर कहना उसे

- फ़रहत शहज़ाद 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHQzZW5SG1o&t=438s

another link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5QPs78IP1w


No comments:

Post a Comment