Monday, June 14, 2021

Cooking Demo - The Pandemic, Heat, Summer and a saree

 While growing up I have always craved for different and spicier food. We had a very simple menu in our household. Food was for hunger not for fun or social gatherings. But one thing for sure we always ate together. Dinner was like the biggest thing of the day. It was our social hour. I craved for different food and never missed a chance to eat in someone else’s home :) my mother called me “chatori” चटोरी  (foodie in a sense)

So it was very natural for me to explore the cuisine scene wherever I went. From Pune to Singapore to Boston I learnt and explore more and more. Cooked for fun and with love. Lot of Ashish’s batch mates and colleagues have been our regular guests. It didn’t change much as we moved to our home in Franklin. My cooking evolved, I don’t cook like my mom at all. My mami (aunt) was my inspiration in kitchen, her style and attitude towards food I followed not the recipes. Now I wish I had learnt some from my grandmothers and mami. My cooking is more quick, fast and fusion of various cuisines.

When I was asked to do a demo for my colleagues I gladly agreed. I offered to show Pulao ( Rice Dish), Dal (Lentil Soup) and Tandoori Chicken in an hour over Zoom.  It was lot of fun. The participant were shocked that we could make 3 things in an hour. I realized cooking in kitchen is so different than cooking over Zoom but thats what we learnt in this pandemic -Adaptation .

It was one of the hottest day and 4 PM is really not a good time to start cooking but I am glad we did, People had something different and fun for their dinner that night.

A simple linen came out to help with cooking in the heat. 









No comments:

Post a Comment