Friday, July 5, 2024

Day 6: Wednesday, June 12th – an engagement ... Schilthorn, Mürren, Wengen, and Lauterbrunnen

As we traveled like backpacker nomads, we didn’t have much of a plan. Information centers have always been my go-to, so that's where I went to check for a mountain excursion. I'll never be able to remember those German names; it will forever be known to me as the James Bond mountain, AKA Schilthorn—a stunning peak in the Bernese Alps known for its panoramic views. There is a  revolving restaurant too .the James Bond movie "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" was shot here. (I've added it to my watch list).

This was our first mountain excursion, so we had to get used to taking various modes of transport: train, cable car, bus, funicular, and gondola. The SBB app makes it very easy to navigate. If you want to remember later, make a tiny note and keep track of departure times. On our way back in Brig we did the thrill walk.


We did the following route: Interlaken - Gimmelwald - Stechelberg - Birg - Schilthorn - Mürren - Wengen - Lauterbrunnen - Interlaken. The loop trip is suggested for obvious reasons. We made one mistake by hurrying to the summit and not stopping in Gimmelwald. If I do it differently next time, I will start earlier and stop in Gimmelwald to walk around the town before heading to the top. We stopped at all the villages we could.


Leave very early so you can enjoy the day. The cable car to Schilthorn runs between 7:55 AM and 3:55 PM. The last cable car departs from Schilthorn at 4:55 PM.


During these journeys, you often meet the same people taking the same boats, trains, and cable cars. We met a young couple from Israel, and at the top, the guy asked me to take pictures and a video—he was about to propose! It was such an experience to witness a milestone in someone’s life.


Wengen is a beautiful town where we had our first fondue and raclette meal. Lauterbrunnen is known for Staubbach Falls. I wish I had the energy and time to walk three miles to see the 72 waterfalls area  (Trümmelbach Falls tour).















Thrill walk



















No comments:

Post a Comment