Thursday, August 6, 2020

Faith, Tradition and Religion - what works for you?


This friday was an indian festival celebrating Goddess Lakshmi. This particular festival ”Varalakshmi Vratam” is celebrated mostly in south India.

I don’t remember celebrating this while growing up so it was interesting to be invited first time years ago. I went happily everywhere as I got the chance to wear a saree and eat Sundal ( a south Indian dish made with chickpeas )

A neighborhood, close to my home, has many south Indian households celebrating this festival. I was invited for many years and slowly it started to fade away. I don’t practice religion and was there to respect friendship more than the festival or the goddess associated with it. I think people figured out that I wasn’t one of those who would participate whole heartedly and I do see their point : )


A dear friend was talking to me and mentioned that she will have just a couple of people due to Covid. I jumped at the idea so I could see her daughters. For me it was another chance to have her coffee.


When I reached there I met her two other friend. The social distancing has made it hard. The conversation was about the importance of these festivals for Indian women to support their social life. Exactly the life we are living now. Imagine beautifully dressed women in Saree and jewellery, with a mask on.


I got a text from one of my non Indian friends from the same neighborhood, asking if there was any Indian festival as she observed all her neighbors dressed up and then I realized I had lost the privilege of being invited to religious activities.

I made sure to tell the friend I was visiting not to ever forget me for her puja/ prayers and celebrations every year, just for a chance to wear a saree and enjoy her sundal and coffee.

A beautiful uppada cotton to celebrate friendship, daughters, coffee and conversation and yes some prayers and rituals.

 A dear friend gave away first lot of jasmine flower to me so i can enjoy. I love the jasmine flower.



No comments:

Post a Comment