Saturday, August 8, 2020

Handloom day - My tribute to a daughter.

Ikat always has been a favorite weave for saree lovers. The intricate work and craftsmanship makes it unique.

Telia Rumal is even more difficult and has been a saree lover’s delight but somehow it never worked for me. But lately I have been thinking that I should get one Telia. Strangely it has become a “checked” saree.For me its too busy but again Handloom has its own logic. 

Finally I reached out to a couple of my fellow saree pacters for help. I was directed to one artisan because he is one of the most popular in that area, a padamsree awardee.

With a couple of pictures exchanges I somehow found those sarees were too expensive for me and on top of that they were not “speaking” to me.


When I mentioned  this to Ally, she introduced me to another family. He was also a national award winner weaver and died of cancer couple of years ago. His daughter, a 17 yrs old girl is carrying over her father’s legacy. I was intrigued by the story and reached out to her. Talking to Chandana was bittersweet. I was so proud of her and impressed with her dedication at this young age.  She sent me some pictures and I made up my mind about my next Telia Saree. This morning, I got a text from her- Happy handloom day Mam. I called her to check on her and my saree. When I mentioned I am planning to wear a saree today, she said “ Ikat right?” I told her I wasn’t sure, I am from MP and might wear a Maheshwari or a kosa. The childlike Chandana was like no mam, please wear Ikat. “Ikat only :)”


And I reached into my closet to get this beautiful Ikat, a gift from Ally.

Today on this handloom day, I wore a beautiful Ikat, a tribute to art, craftsmanship, handloom but above all to a daughter who is working hard to continue the journey and her father’s legacy!

The Saree brings back the memory of 100SareePact, a feeling of gratitude. Dont miss the flower on my hair. A dear friend who generously gave away all Jasmine flowers from her garden to me. She knows how much i love and miss having a string of these flowers on my hair. Hair or no hair these flowers definetly made my evening wonderful. Had a tea with a family working in life science fields with interesting conversation about corona, people, life, politics, literature and Saree.


My next post - a  Blog about Chandana's and her contact info.

No comments:

Post a Comment