Tuesday, December 24, 2019

India 2019-2020 Day - 1 Home coming

India trip means many things - 

Its a whole different meaning of planning, shopping, packing and then travel. These 4 things take over mostly the real part (Vacation) some times.
A wedding in the family so Pandeys were all booked for India trip. These few months have  witnessed the excitement. I think I couldn’t go through even a day without talking about this trip. I think I have started thinking, planning and shopping before the tickets were booked. My sarees were bought even before the bride’s started her shopping.

The last week of travel has seen anxiety, excitement, joy, and sleepless nights. The Indian Government had made some changes in OCI (overseas citizens of India) travel policy and that was enough for headache for many of us holiday time travelers.
I was traveling alone and the boys will come week after. The night before I was in much better place, having clear idea about Visa and Travel scenario, packing done for all of us. Boys leaving after me is still giving me jitters. the farewell dinner was served with finest scotch and that was a good start.
I am lucky to have wonderful friends in my life so next morning was amazing with home cooked idlees, sambhar and chutney by one of them. Anand was very clear that he would go to drop me with dad so a quick stop to pick him up at school and we were off to airport. My mind was full of emotion, the excitement, joy of seeing my parents and family, anxiety of leaving the boys and travel and non stop todo list. when I walked in for checking- in I was offered $800 if I travel a day after. apparently the flight was overbooked. as usual my mind was not able to decide and the man made it very easy saying uber is my option for next day :) I think seeing mom and dad sooner took over the greed of $800.
The flight was packed and I had a window seat. The next several hours were spent chatting, sleeping and watching a movie. Two Students from Boston were going home (Germany) for holiday break. Watched  The Aftermath and managed couple of hours of sleep. A wonderful air hotsess Jana was a delight to talk to. I learnt so much about Frankfurt and Germany in that 15 minutes conversation. She got to learn about shopping in Bangalore from me. I wish I had a way of knowing what did she do on her day in Bangalore this trip. 

The layover in Germany was a drag. With 7+ hours layover I had planned to go  out and explore the city. Conversation with Jana sure helped me. I was in line for immigration when I realized that it was pouring outside and I wasn’t dressed for a wet day. so I ended up staying in Z terminal of the airport. I wish I had stayed in the terminal I was in. you have to take the tram for this terminal and it is busier and has less space to rest. after a long walk, wandering around the airport I had a very tasty Panini and found a place to rest and took a nap. On a crowded place I managed to find 3 empty seats and without worrying, stretched my legs and slept. The memories of sleeping on a train travel when you put our head on the handbag and just dose off.
finally it was time for second flight. I got an isle seat this time. unlike my previous flight it was full of desi crowd. A mom and her cute 10 yrs old daughter J were next to me. They were going home for some family function. The flight was long but was very entertaining. Two of women chatting over life away from home, families, sisters, neighbors, work, the life in Germany and USA and in India and then it became all about Sarees. I think she had overdose of Saree knowledge. Her mom’s closet in trouble this time. she will go to Saree Store with a totally different eyes this time. I really had such wonderful time in this flight, though it was longer.
the check in was so smooth in Boston but the last thing of the journey was long and tiring. the immigration was quick so I was at the luggage belt very soon but my luggage came so very late. Standing next to the belt and thinking  mine is just next to come out of that door. Air France had lost my bag once so that experience is always on my mind. The wait was over and finally I could leave the airport. the best part was seeing my sister and Brother in law outside. I totally forgot how tired I was, seeing them made this worth. and guess what the home made paratha made the long drive fun. 

The drop off company 


The best dinner that night Saboodana Khichadi, dont get fooled by bowl size.It was refilled many times  ;) 

  
Sunny Boston  


Terminal Z . Z for Zoo.. 


 Rainy Frankfurt 


Banaglore .. be ready for me 


                            and the best part.. Seema and Jay right there .. made the long flight worth



No comments:

Post a Comment