Monday, September 21, 2020

Whats in the name - Naam me kya rakha hai.

A Conversation with my Mom

My mother finishes her evening tea in Bangalore and makes a phone call to her Pragya ( that’s me if you don’t know my nickname)

That is my early morning and god forbid if I sleep in then there are at least 2 missed call and then a VM. I so love those VM. She says the same thing - every time - “So rahi hai kya beta, phone ke thee” ( are you sleeping dear daughter, I had called you)

Usually that is my morning walk time before my work begins.

When I used to go to the office I would call her from the car. So we kind of continued that routine. Some normalcy in these uncertain times. 

We talk about anything and everything from what is cooking in my sister’s kitchen, their day, my yesterday, plan for my day, phone calls to and from family , news, friends whatever we think of. I show her the sun, the plants, any flowers that catches my attention ( as you all know by now- I love flowers, specially in my hair ) and sometime cars and the streets.

One of these days the conversation turned to books and I was so tempted to tell her how some books had made an impact in my life. At the same time I missed her not participating in that conversation, and all of a sudden the idea of sending her those books was born. I said -you made us read whatever you wanted, now time for me to get back at you. Read what I want you to read. Thank god for my sister and her Amazon India account. In just a couple of days 8 books were delivered. I told her to start one specific book to understand my life better. I warned her that every morning she has to tell me how far she was in the book. She should read at least a few pages everyday. My mom so wanted to read the books in Hindi but poor amma was afraid of her “dushta” daughter. “Will you take my viva bitiya (daughter)”she asked. She wanted to know if I was going to quiz her on her reading later. 

Can you guess what I made her read? She is still reading that book. Meanwhile I heard she has finished two hindi books already :)

Which one book could define you? Mine is The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri.


  Mother India reading - notice the cover on the book? thats how I remember my childhood, major production - cover all the books, no marks, use proper bookmark and take care.so many people can read after you.. I saw this pic and was joking if she was reading "adult books" hence the cover. :) 

Another Mother ( Ashish's aai) also a victim. Her parcel includes Marathi and Hindi Mix. 



A black Semi Paithani from Pune, 2012 memory. I went to pune with wounded leg. Had an accident in bangalore, I was alive that was a miracle. but I made up for my survival. Shopped like anything.  I didnt feel like paying so much for Paithani so the shopkeeper convinced me to buy this semi paithani. I was under "black" spell that year. Lot of black beauties came home with me. Wore it for an evening tea with some saree friends.








No comments:

Post a Comment