Thursday, October 1, 2020

Mainu tera shabaab le baitha/ मैनु तेरा शबाब लै बैठा

I dont understand Panjabi ( a regional language in India) but sometime you dont need to understand the language, the emotions make into your heart,

for last couple of days, Jagjit Singh’s this ghazal is stuck in my mind. I dont know but it has made me feel loved and rejected at the same time, reminded me of good times and bad times,  made me experience hope and despair. Its like I have been stuck in a circle of high and low. So conveniently I can blame this whole mental fatigue to Covid Era. I can tell myself that everyone is in the same situation and soon it will be all over and things will be fine. Only if I could convince my heart and soul the same story.

So what do you do? listen to the same song multiple time and soon you realize you actually remember the words and understand it more than you thought. and then you make the phone call to people who understand you craziness for the man.

Today i did talk to two people who love Jagjit Singh in their own way, who had stories to share, talk about his bigger than anything personality. and yes I did feel much better.

I wrote an article many years ago about my passion for his ghazals and another after his death. even after almost 9 yrs the feeling of loss is still raw. Strangely his ghazals reminds the emptiness all over again. Today one of a dear friend said grieving is so important to move on. So thinking of writing what the loss means to me. A dear friend asked me to write Part -2 of that article and come to think of it, he has a point. I always said his ghazals gave meaning to so many emotions. I should write how his ghazals made me experience some emotions. Over the years I met some amazing people who share the same craziness and someone of them can claim the special place in my life. 

Jagjit Singh sang some of Shiv Kumar Batalvi’s writing.  

मैनु तेरा शबाब लै बैठा

रंग गोरा गुलाब लै बैठा

किन्नी बीती ते किन्नी बाकी है

मैनु ऐहो हिसाब लै बैठा

मैनु जदवी तुसी हो याद आये

दिन दिहाड़े शराब लै बैठा

चंगा हुन्दा सवाल करदा

मैनु तेरा जवाब लै बैठा

-शिव कुमार बटालवी


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quLpLjXRgUA


Wore this Kosa for an evening tea with some of incredible moms in Moms Network. They amazed me with their strength and determination and ability to love beyond limit and unconditionally. 






No comments:

Post a Comment