Tuesday, October 27, 2020

What is a meaningful relationship for you.

Today I realized how difficult it is to leave a cozy sofa and blanket and turn off the TV. When we started the movie it was engaging enough but then it was just not going anywhere.  Since we were so settled we ended up watching the whole movie, hoping there was something in the climax. Unfortunately there wasn’t but it inspired me to write about relationships.

The movie - “On the Rocks” is about a father and daughter relationship, there are conversations and lessons learnt.


Couple of days ago I was chatting with a friend about how various relationships have a different meaning for everyone . What is a meaningful relationship for you?

We were discussing how we all define our friendships. It can mean something totally different to others from what it means to you and me. In a way it starts at home, the relationship with parents or their’s with each other. A child learns from his or her parents what marriage, companionship and partnership mean. The relationship with parents also impacts one’s own relationship with their children. Many a times our relationship with our parents defines what kind of parents we will be. We learn from them and strangely some will try their hardest not to be like their own parents. We pick the traits of partnership and parenting right from our childhood.


When we started talking it was like a never ending discussion, but it revolved mostly around what friendships mean to women. The word  “superficial” came up and strangely we both agreed how much everyone dislikes it but most of the friendships fall into this catagory.

The conversation ended with a promise that we both will be honest with each other and if something bothers us we would have a conversation about it. 

Today’s movie sure was disappointing but made me recall that conversation. My relationship with my parents, sisters, my husband, my in laws, and my sons has a lot to do with my upbringing and childhood. Then come the friendships and that depicts who I am as a person. When I look back, I realize I have good instincts to find likeminded people and tend to hold on to my friendships. A dear friend calls me a good people magnet. But at the same time I come out as a straight forward person, who cannot have superficial friendships. . I have learnt to get the goodness from people and let go their limitation to certain extent. At the same time I don’t take people for granted but wouldn’t let anyone do the same to me too. But again It has a lot to do with what I have seen in my family. 


But its not about me it is about you too, What do you expect in your relationships?


A simple cotton Saree - My dad bought it from a village close to our home. This saree is ages old.

 It has warmth and comfort from home.

 My dad and I on FaceTime. 
Ashish's 50th Bday lunch out at a farm in Natick, MA. these pics make me smile so they are here for no reason :)




No comments:

Post a Comment