Sunday, September 19, 2021

Travel Saga - If you are flying from Boston to India Via Dubai - India 2021

Note - this is my experience as of Sept 15th, 2021, things can change, please go through CDC guidelines and Indian Governments's requirements 

I flew on Wednesday late night  (9/15) night from Boston. The Logan airport was so empty, the reality of new travel. My fight was @ 11 PM so that too might be the reason. 

I was there by 8.10 PM, At the check they checked Visa,  PCR test, and Self declaration form on Air Suvidha (Take a print out of both) 

That can happen for international travel if you are early but the biggest surprise of all was very smooth security check. If you have flown through Boston before it always has been busy.

After security, there wasn’t anything going on, I could go to the gate. The restaurant were mostly closed.Keep the print out handy, they can ask again at the gate.


The Emirates is flying on its limited capacity with mask mandate. It was Wednesday night too. They are trying to keep two seats between two passanger, I got the whole 3 seat row to my self and could sleep on my longer stretch of the travel, which I am grateful for. The food was warm and served as usual, not boxed. I ate at the airport before flying ( home cooked) so I ate after everyone ate and wore their mask again

Dubai Airport - again was quiet, very empty, the security check was easier. Again checked the PCR test and Self declaration form ( Air Suvidha). All the Duty Free shops are open. It was a short stop over.

The flight from Dubai from Bangalore was busier than the previous but still again lot emptier than usual.

I was talking to the stewardess and they confirmed that flights are flying with reduced capacity.

I got the window seat and the other person was on the aisle. An empty seat in between but again it was his family of 4 sat in the middle row that might be the reason, the plane was pretty empty.


Real fun began at the Bengaluru Airport, it was easy to get out of the plane because of no crowd but there are few procedures in place.

The first is COVID test ( a very long line, no social distancing but everyone wearing mask), end of the line they gave me a registration form , test is mouth swab and nasal swab. Take a pic of that form because they will take it back. After the test they ask for self declaration form, then another line to pay 800 Rs for test ( I used my card) then final stop was temperature check. I just felt this whole process was in place for a reason, just time consuming and tiring. After all that the immigration was super easy because not much line there. But after immigration there was a long time for cabin baggage check. It was really slow and I wasn’t sure if they were even paying attention. 2 international flight ( at least) and only one scanner was working. By the time I got out my check in bags were already out from the belt that was very helpful and no-one stopped me at customs. It took me close to two hours to get out of the airport. 

I got the email after few hours that test was negative ( I think they have the email from Air Suvidha) and my sister got a test result as text ( I gave her number as India contact) little later.

f you must fly
Fly weekday
Printout of PCR test and Self Declaration form ( Air Suvidha)
Check with the airline about their specific requirements
Keep hour and half in hand in Bengaluru after landing.
Keep your own water bottle and get some water from the plane

Empty lines @ Emirates counter
and Quatar Airways was a different story all together. I guess I was too early :)


B777  - A wonderful staff
@Dubai Airport
Dubai Airport 
On my way to Bangalore from Dubai 

welcome to India :) - Worth every trouble.

The line for scanner, heard Indian authorities are struggling with drugs coming in. also they are extremely tired. we all worked from home but these people didn't have that luxury so please be kind to the staff. They are doing whatever they can to make our life easy but we cannot comprehend what they go through.



1 comment:


  1. Super lovely detailed guide especially for folks with anxiety associated with traveling in covid times 😍

    ReplyDelete