Friday, September 24, 2021

What do religion and religious beliefs mean to you

On an early Wednesday morning I am sitting here in my Sister in law’s puja room. The music system is playing the shlokas, I observe her getting ready for her morning prayers with a calm on her face. She is quiet and in her own world.

She lives in a full indian household with her husband, her mother in law, her mother (my mother in law) and now the pandemic has brought her two grown sons too who have been working from home. 

I have known her for over 35 plus years and she has always been religious and spiritual. I wonder what would a degree in philosophy would have done to her instead of her Masters in Mathematics . She was a teacher and took retirement recently to focus on her well being and take things easy. 

My jet lag kicked in and I was up in the wee hours. So I decided to come downstairs only to find her all showered and getting ready for her morning rituals. She joked that this is “my time”. It’s a good start to my day before rush hours she said . I wonder what these prayers do for her. She runs a full household, rushing from one chore to the next, taking care of 3 generations and a German Shepard. How does that time help her?

Does she forget the world and practice mindfulness or does her mind wander,  thinking anout breakfast preparation, planning or does she go over yesterday’s events or she thinks about the future while she is sitting in front of a small temple she has in her home.


What is your morning ritual, how do you start your day, how do you keep calm and get ready to handle the day. 

.


Imagine the scene - My mom in law making garland, Me on the side couch and my sister in law doing her thing and her another son - Bruno. The dog leaves his room in the morning and stays till she finishes her prayers and awaits for prasad 









No comments:

Post a Comment