Sunday, January 26, 2020

The wedding saga - an adventure

Indian weddings are an adventure for everyone involved. Mine wasn’t any different but this story is about our niece’s wedding. The main reason for our India trip.
She is my husband’s older brother’s daughter. She was one when we got married. My memories of newly wed days are filled with 3 young kids of the family. This wedding was the first in the next generation, one after ours, almost 25 yrs ago.
We couldn’t wait for the big day since she got engaged.  Planning, shopping and packing, everything was exciting. The bride didn’t worry much about it but I was all ready for the wedding. My shopping was done way before hers. A beautiful paithani was ready for the occasion. Paithani is an exquisite saree of Maharashtra, a community my husband belongs to. For me it was very important to be all maharastrian for this wedding. 

The kids had decided on a registered wedding and small ceremonies, just close families. They agreed to a grand reception.
We reached Nagpur on the day of the Haldi, a day before the wedding. We left my sister’s home at 5 AM ,on the road for 5+ hour to reach on time for haldi. After this ceremony we decided to go shopping.
A mangalsutra for me.. it had been in my list for this year and who would be better company than my mother-in-law and sister-in-law. 3 of us Pandey ladies and Ajey went looking for a perfect neckpiece thinking I could wear that for the party that night. We were in the shop checking out the jewelry when the phone rang. The court employees were going on strike next day so the wedding had to take place today within the hour. Imagine the shock. We rushed home to witness the commotion. The bride didn’t have enough time to get ready in a saree or make up so she decided on a beautiful Salwar Kurta. She had to go to the court right away, so she left with her parents and my sister-in-law. I on the other hand, refused to go in the old saree I was wearing :)
I had been planning for this day for too long to go to court like that. I told everyone I needed only 10 minutes. The beautiful Paithani came out with  perfect jewelry from my suitcase and Kaku ( aunt) was ready. 
We reached the court but had to ask a few people where the marriage court was. A women clerk asked in Marathi - तुला लग्न करायचं आहे का ( do you want to get married ) I said - नक्की, फक्त एक नवरा  मिळवा (sure just find a guy). Her response was फक्त हो म्हण, line लगनार  ( just say yes, there will be a line) It was funny because Ashish was right next to me. I realized later that I was the only “dressed” woman there with a bright saree and flowers in my hair. We all waited for the groom side of the family and finally the wedding took place. It was just a formality of signing papers / wedding agreement in-front of the registrar and two witnesses. We had more fun outside the office. The garland exchange, the sweets, the hugs and pictures took longer than the ceremony. We joked that they needed an adventure wedding story. 

The saree remains my favorite of the lot, a gift from a friend, but now it has a story about a much awaited wedding in the family too.  

The pictures tell you the story :)











waiting for the couple, cannot do anything, lets just pose :) 


Finally the whole gang. I am sure My in laws has more people even when they just meet for simple Tea. 





No comments:

Post a Comment