Friday, February 5, 2021

A Tale of the Covid Era, a conversation with my dad

“I am so done with all this. I just need a vacation, a month long vacation”- My dad declared. I haven’t heard these words from my father ever. I never thought he knew the meaning of “vacation”. He was always a doer and always on the go. I was shocked, but soon our conversation took a different direction, giving me more clarity of his thought process. He really doesn’t not want a“vacation”, he just needs to visit a few people, go to Balaghat, the place we all call “home” and just grieve for the people he has lost in the last one year. ( my parents are with my sister in Bangalore and visit Balaghat every few months, This has been longest away from Balaghat for them, rest of our family is still in that area)

My dad gets the energy from people. (sound familiar ? you know someone of that mold? ;)  The watchman, the newspaper sales person, the school bus driver, the vegetable vendor, the grocery store guy, the flower seller, the coconut water guy , they all wait for him in the morning. He is the one who would say good morning to all these people during his morning walk. My morning walks with him used to be a sum of all sorts of greetings. He needs to see people even if it’s for a few minutes. That’s what keeps him going. He cannot spend a lot of time in one place, always on the go but when he is with you he is totally yours. His attention to details - of people’s life is exemplary. 

Since COVID has forced everyone to stay indoors he is the one who is suffering the most. The more I think about it the better I get to know myself. I am so mini him in many ways. But I could go for a walk, do the socially distant driveway meets, do the Zoom calls. But for him watching TV and reading are the only options. 

We talked for a long time and he was much better. He has lost a few friends and relatives in the last few months and he is feeling helpless that he couldn’t be with their grieving families. That’s who he has been all his life - always there during someone’s difficult time. I think the feeling of helplessness and not being able to do whatever he wants or loves to do is taking its toll on him.

I promised him I would pack my bags and go with him for that trip as soon as we both get the vaccine. Hang on papa, this too  shall pass as you always say.


 Papa with his daughters, He is our rock and we are his pride. 

Papa buying "ber" (Indian Jujube), somewhere during our travel, he stopped the car and bought it because I love them.

In Goa
 I was having a difficult week, funky mood  but I knew I had to do something about it. So decided to change it - wore this simple cotton, a Bagha print, dad's fav kind of print.
Our pallet stove needed some fuel so this saree clad woman went to get some. today I was my ma and grandma - doing household chores in Saree. I am much better now. The Saree holds the magic. the beauty of sunset. Such a calm and serene evening, Thats all I needed I guess. just to step out of the house in a very "homey saree"







No comments:

Post a Comment