Saturday, May 22, 2021

Tragedy strikes and strangely it brings people together

Last year when we were dealing with COVID here in USA, It was just scary and nerve racking but still we all were doing okay. We had shelter, fresh air and space to walk. We didn’t have a “complete lockdown,” we were not “locked in” but we were taking precautions and living our life. It was Spring so we all could at least meet outside and by the time winter hit the East Coast we had a handle on the situation and there was hope.

Winter brought the conditional lockdown ( because of the cold) but not because of COVID for many of us. It brought major changes in politics and attitude and lifestyle for all of us. As I look back on this day in May - I feel we survived.

BUT now we all are more anxious than ever, frustrated, sad, angry and worried because it’s our families across the continents who are dealing with the COVID havoc. It is hitting home and on top of that it has gotten worse over the year and things are not getting better. Everyone I know knows someone who has lost family or is suffering from Covid.

Today I went to a memorial service. The son and daughter in law struggled with the severity of the situation and still couldn’t go to be with the father.  All these years majority of us, Non Resident Indians never had this kind of restriction. Not being able to hop on a plane and just go when your family needs you most, when you are losing parents. I cannot even imagine  what they went through. I wish I had words to console them. I know “I was not there” will haunt them forever.

When I walked in the prayer was over so everyone was  coming down for langar ( food) but I sat in the main prayer room alone for some time and all I could think of the crazy times we are all living in. When would this end?  I am not religious but it didn’t stop me from questioning what that superpower is looking for.

I stayed afterwards and was observing how grief works as a connector in a way. It was a sunny and warm day, Most of us are vaccinated or half way through and things are looking better going forward. So people were inside after like almost 14 months, meeting people they couldn’t for over a year. The friends hugged, shared their stories and fears, everyone is worried about their parents and families. There were laughter, tears, hugs and care. 

The close friends got together in the gurudvara and cooked for all the guests, took part in prayers and then distributed lunch, sorted the leftovers and cleaned. I was in awe of how things worked so smoothly. The family didn’t have to worry about anything. It was like an assembly line. People doing whatever they could and before you noticed everything was all cleaned up. 


My mind was wandering all over how comforting it was to see them together working side by side and knowing they all are there for each other. 

I hope the family finds solace in knowing that they are not alone.


A pochampalli Ikat gift from a Saree friend. Simple cotton for a perfect sunny warm day.

 I wish I had taken some more pictures I will remember this for long time. Such comfort in knowing there are people to hold you together when you are having hard time. Someone is there to help you get through this time. 
Lunch to go 
Most of these pics are from a friend
Anand decided to celebrate one milestone - we all are vaccinated - Fully Vac Fam.






1 comment: